How We Kill & Injure Our Pet Birds

How We Kill & Injure Our Pet Birds

For the many of you who don’t know, Catherine (my wife & partner) and I, spend almost 24/7 together. We always have something to say to one another, We talk about business a lot.


We brainstorm, plan, solve problems – you get it.


I’m not sure how this conversation got started, I remember we were in the car and I’m pretty sure Catherine said something like, “We spend so much time talking about how to care for our birds, the right bird foodproper size bird cage the right bird cage accessories and bird toys.


But we never talk about the other side.


The sadly ironic side of having a pet bird.


The single biggest reason our birds die is – we kill them.


Rather than expanding on each and every hazard, I’m going to list all that we came up with.


Let us know about your experiences so we can help other pet bird owners avoid potential catastrophes.


  • Lands on edge of a drinking glass, reaches down for liquid and falls in head first & drowns
  • Flies or falls into a mop bucket
  • Flies or falls into a toilet
  • Flies into a mirror or window
  • Water bottle malfunctions while you’re out-of-town for 3 days – bird suffers dehydration
  • Electrocution by chewing through electrical wire
  • Flies into the open oven
  • Flies into the boiling water pot
  • Fumes emitted from Teflon cookware heated over 535 degrees (Birds are 90% lungs – people)
  • Using Teflon coated heat lamps to keep babies warm has killed chicks even at zoos
  • Bird gets stuck on a single toy hung in the middle of the cage – gets tired and can’t reach cage walls to leave toy – falls off toy from exhaustion
  • Toe caught in a knot of chain – flaps uncontrollably until injury or death
  • Flies into old fashion glue flypaper – flaps uncontrollably until injury or death
  • Mousetrap under the couch
  • Impaled on a knife or sharp object on the kitchen counter
  • Bird gets laid on because someone thought it was cute to sleep with their bird
  • Flying out the door
  • Ingestion of a home cleaning product
  • Sucked into a vacuum
  • Stepped on
  • Squeezed too hard by a young child
  • Bird bites finger, clamps on – person shakes hand to get the bird to release – bird hits floor or wall and dies
  • Run-ins with ceiling fans (Vets call them shredded tweet!)
  • New carpeting outgasses and should not be installed with a bird in the home
  • Second-hand smoke
  • Crushed in a sliding glass or any door for that matter 
  • Other house pets kill the bird
  • Other birds – Lovebirds will bite other birds toes – toe loss can cause a bird to bleed to death rapidly
  • Wrong human food – avocado, chocolate, caffeine
  • Place bird in an outdoor cage in the morning, bird bakes in the afternoon sun
  • Introduce sick birds into the home without quarantine
  • Swallows remote control battery
  • Poisoned or electrocuted by chewing on cell phone
  • Leg band gets caught on toy part
  • Wet seed and some wood debris can create Aspergillus fungus 
  • Oven liners
  • Loose & threads on bird bedding 
  • Scented candles and room fresheners
  • Heavy metal poisoning from an antique brass birdcage
  • Ingesting medication that was dropped on the floor 
  • Bird of prey attack while parrot is unattended out of doors
  • Tainted well water
  • vinegar + baking soda produces co2


Please ponder this list as you look around your home.


written by


Mitch Rezman, CMO

collaborated with & approved by
Catherine Tobsing, President
© Windy City Parrot, Inc. 2014

This Post Has 3 Comments

  1. All of this is due to stupidity and negligence. A card for bird will loli a long life.

  2. Thank you for this list. I have had numerous pet birds in my life but this is the first time I have ever been the cause of one’s death. It does give me comfort to read that there are so many ways people can accidentally contribute to the death of their feathered friend, and that I’m not alone. I have chronic back pain and did not sleep well last night. This morning I was very tired when I had to get up for work. I live full time in an RV, in southeast Texas. I forgot to turn on my AC before leaving for work (which I have never done in the past). When I got home from work this afternoon, it was 110 degrees in my trailer and my poor little parrotlet was dead on the bottom of his cage. It was so hot that all his drinking water evaporated. I feel horrible because even though he didn’t like me very much, he was only 5 years old and he did talk a few words when he wanted to.

Leave a Reply

Close Menu
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop